Craving a sweet treat but don’t really want to spend an hour in the kitchen? Make this Spiced Berry Buckle with that random half-bag of frozen berries and a few pantry staples. If you don’t have whole wheat flour, use all purpose; add some oats to the topping; use maple sugar instead of light brown sugar. It’s easy to adapt to whatever you have at home and a sweet treat to end a meal.
This dessert fits into the winter comfort foods category that I crave during these cold months. A little bit of crumbly dough, sticky and gooey berries, naturally sweet and served piping hot from the oven might just be the perfect way to end your night. Top with whipped cream or your favorite vanilla bean ice cream. Oh and I promise that it takes less than 10 minutes to put together and throw in the oven!
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Grease two ramekins with butter or shortening. Reserve to the side.
- Toss frozen berries, cornstarch, sugar and salt. Set aside.
- Mix together flour and sugar and crumble shortening into it. Add a pinch of your favorite spices and incorporate to dough.
- Spoon berry mixture into ramekins and top with crumbled dough. Bake for 10-15 minutes, until dough is golden brown.
- Serve alongside ice cream or whipped cream! Enjoy!