Switching up the side dishes this year is one of my goals – sometimes we are stuck with the same dishes every night for dinner because it’s easy and we don’t want to push ourselves. To start, these Maple Mustard Roast Carrots are incredibly simple to make and the flavor is incredible thanks to the mustard!
Friends, you’ve heard it before. A few ingredients, when they are the best ingredients, create the most sublime and delicious recipes. Crazy that I’m waxing poetically about carrots, but when you make these at home, you’ll understand why. With only six ingredients, one of them being one of the best mustards I’ve ever tried in my life, you’ll create a side dish that’s simple enough for a weeknight but impressive enough for a weekend dinner party.
What is this mustard I speak of? It’s made by Maille and called Black truffle cep and Chablis mustard! The combination of two mushrooms makes this the most unctuous texture that blends so well on the flavors of incredible earthy mushrooms. The exquisite aroma of truffle is perfect – not overwhelming like other truffle products.
This mustard is a welcoming addition to this recipe, as it balances the natural sweetness of the carrots. A bit of great maple syrup we brought back from our trip to Vermont and it’s such a quick recipe.
Recreate this at home and you’ll be eating them cold from the fridge like I did – they are that good! Consider splurging on some Maille mustard – and a thank you to them for sending me a sample of their latest mustards always. I am in no way under any obligation to write about them, I felt you’d just love them. The Black Truffle and Chablis Mustard is also a favorite – and this recipe was not only delicious with the other mustard, but made me excited because we are headed to Belgium in March and hope to visit one of the unique mustard boutiques while there! Go forth and cook – cheers!
- 1 pound thin carrots, washed
- 3 tablespoons Maille Black truffle cep and Chablis mustard
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons finely sliced fresh basil
- ¼ cup chopped toasted pecans
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- Whisk together the mustard, maple syrup, and olive oil.
- Slice the carrots in half, lengthwise and toss in half the mustard dressing, salt, and pepper.
- Roast for 30-45 minutes, until golden brown.
- Drizzle the rest of the mustard dressing and serve sprinkled with fresh basil and pecans.
- Can be served warm, room temperature, or even cold.