Classic Hot Chocolate Granola hits the spot every time when you’re trying to make healthy snacks, but still want them to feel like a treat.
Winter in New England is still happening and I’m so over it. I’m over the cold mornings when I can’t sip my coffee on the deck because the wind chill would freeze my caffeine; I’m so done with having to wear 100 layers every time I step outside. But I do love one thing about the winter: hot chocolate. Rich, creamy dulce de leche Mexican hot chocolate every night might not be what the doctor ordered!
But I’ve taken hot chocolate on step further and created a healthier option: Classic Hot Chocolate Granola! Crunchy, crispy bits packed with fiber, antioxidants, and deliciousness – the perfect breakfast folded into yogurt, snack, or midnight treat over ice cream.
I’m obsessed with this granola and have made it over a dozen times this winter. Because it’s made with heart-healthy oats, fiber packed oat bran and tons of Omega-3 essential fatty acids from the flax seed, it’s the perfect winter comfort snack food. You can use any sweetener you’d like – honey, agave, or even maple syrup would work here. And don’t forget to pile on the dark chocolate – those antioxidants are keeping me alive this winter! Oh and the marshmallows? They’re just there for fun!
Here’s the classic hot chocolate granola recipe!
Classic Hot Chocolate Granola
- 3 cups rolled oats
- 3 tablespoons flax seed meal
- ½ cup oat bran
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- ½ cup agave syrup or honey
- 3 ounces chopped semi-sweet chocolate
- 1 cup mini marshmallows
- ½ cup chopped chocolate
- 3 tablespoons roasted cacao nibs
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- In a large bowl, mix together the oats, flax seed meal, and oat bran.
- In a small saucepan, whisk together the cocoa powder, coconut oil, agave (or honey) and chopped chocolate. Drizzle over dry ingredients and fold until combined.
- Spread out on a greased baking tray and bake for 30-45 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle the marshmallows, extra chopped chocolate, and cacao nibs while still warm. Let cool completely before storing.