This Chia Seed Banana Bread recipe is the ideal quick bread to make when you have extra ripe bananas and craving some sweet, yet healthy. Packed with omega-3 fats, protein, vitamins and minerals, chia seeds will satisfy that sweet tooth with a healthy option!
This post may contain affiliate links that, at no additional cost to you, may earn me a small commission.
One of my favorite baked goods to make, no matter the season or the reason, is banana bread. First, it’s a great gift to wrap up and give a neighbor or friend; secondly, it’s the perfect treat with your coffee or afternoon tea. Last, but not least, this all-American, comfort dessert is one that makes even the grumpiest of friends lighten up!
And talking about lighten up, this banana bread recipe is also lightened up a bit! Replace the butter with coconut oil and not only will you save on calories, but add great nutritional value from the oil – coconut oil is one of the healthiest fats you can use in your kitchen. Search online and you’ll find thousands of sources and lists of benefits. There are endless ways to use coconut oil – I’m obsessed and might blog about all the ways I use it in my daily life.
Back to this banana bread recipe – want to make it even healthier? Substitute the flour with whole wheat flour. I used self-rising flour from King Arthur Flour because I’m addicted to it; honestly because I’m lazy at times and don’t to measure out leaving agents! Bake this bread and make someone happy today! p.s. Looking for another healthy banana bread recipe? Check out my Date Banana Bread.
Before you dive into this recipe, make sure to get out the necessary tools and set yourself up for success:
- Mixing bowls – I personally use OXO Mixing Bowls
- Loaf baking pans – I recommend using a stainless steel loaf pan, as it conducts heat better
- 2 cups self rising flour
- 3 tablespoons chia seeds
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup dark brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup melted coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3 large ripe bananas, mashed
- ½ tablespoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350F and grease a loaf pan.
- Whisk together the flour, chia seeds, and salt. Set aside.
- Whisk together sugars, eggs, oil, sour cream, vanilla, mashed bananas, and cinnamon.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix until incorporate.
- Pour into loaf pan and bake for 50 minutes, or until fully baked.