Make this healthier version of the classic Italian dish and recreate this tasty Shrimp & Scallop Scampi with Zucchini Noodles – the flavor is still there, the calories aren’t!
Nothing is more comforting than hearty, carb-filled Italian recipes, don’t you agree? I could eat pasta every day for the rest of my life and be happy. But my thighs would be the size of tree trunks and since I’d like to avoid that, we’re taking the traditional version of the Italian shrimp scampi recipes and making it a little healthier by substituting the pasta with fresh zucchini noodles.
My version for these Shrimp & Scallop Scampi with Zucchini Noodles is honestly just as amazing as the original recipe – no joke. The flavors of white wine, garlic, red pepper flakes, and sweet seafood is just a dream! nd you don’t have to feel guilty (although, I never do, ha!) for eating an entire bowl or two of this.
Some healthy benefits of this recipe (because I’m trying to be a little healthier today, after realizing I’ve consumed my weight in food all summer long!): great source of protein and vitamin b12 from both the shrimp and the scallops, and the zucchini has a high content of omega-3 fatty acids as well. Oh and the wine? We all know the immense benefits of wine (wink, wink)!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 ounces shrimp, peeled
- 8 ounces scallops
- ½ teaspoon salt + pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly slice
- ½ cup white wine (Chardonnay works well)
- 4 medium zucchini, spiralized
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Heat the olive oil over medium and cook shrimp and scallops on both sides, while seasoning with salt and pepper. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Saute the garlic until fragrant and add the wine and zucchini. Cook over high heat until half the wine is evaporated and zucchini is cooked.
- Add in the shrimp and scallops, sprinkle with red pepper flakes, and serve immediately, with a sprinkling of parsley or parmesan cheese.