Everyone has done it already: posted an Instagram of their hand wrapped around a Starbucks Pumpkin Spice Latte. But since I live on Martha’s Vineyard, land of the no-Starbucks, I’ve got to be resourceful. Here’s an upgraded version to your PSL: a Mocha Pumpkin Spice Latte with homemade Pumpkin Caramel. And it’s super simple, I promise!
Who knew putting pumpkin puree in your coffee would be THE fall trend that would last for an entire decade? (Heck there’s even a Facebook page!) Yeah, you heard that right. The Pumpkin Spice Latte turns TEN years old this year – amazing! So in honor of that, and in honor of our current obsession with pumpkin, we’re sharing a recipe for a kicked up version of your loving PSL. Call it a MPSLwPC!
Did you know…There have been over 29,000 tweets that have featured the hash tag: #pumpkinspice since August of 2012? –Starbucks
To take it over the top, we created a pumpkin caramel recipe that you can drizzle not only over your coffee, but your pancakes, waffles, desserts, and even…caramel corn. Stay tuned for that recipe!
Mocha Pumpkin Spice Latte with Pumpkin Caramel
The classic fall weather coffee drink just got an upgrade with pumpkin caramel and a touch of chocolate!
For the caramel
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3 tablespoons pumpkin puree
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup light corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
For the Latte
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 shots espresso
- 2 tablespoons pumpkin puree
- 1 tablespoon dark cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
- For the caramel, in a small sauce pan whisk together the nutmeg, pumpkin puree, and heavy cream. Simmer slowly until needed.
- In a medium saucepan with tall sides over medium high heat, melt the butter, sugars, corn syrup, and salt. Stir rapidly for 5 minutes, until it comes to a boil. Remove off heat and whisk in baking soda. Quickly drizzle in heavy cream mixture and whisk over low heat until it all comes together.
- For the latte, whisk the milk, espresso, pumpkin puree, cocoa powder, and spices together over low heat. Bring to a slow simmer.Whisk the heavy cream with sugar to form light whipped cream. Serve hot latte topped with fresh whipped cream and a drizzle of pumpkin caramel.
Disclaimer: This post is in no way sponsored by Starbucks.