Take advantage of the tender spring asparagus that are popping up in the markets and enjoy this whole grain Sorghum Asparagus Salad with a Creamy Balsamic Dressing! Make sure to scroll down and enter to win a Bob’s Red Mill and Stonyfield giveaway!
Out of all the grains, my favorite might just be sorghum. Even though it takes a good hour to cook, it’s heartiness and texture when cooked have made me fall in love with it!
“Sorghum originated in Africa thousands of years ago, and then spread through the Middle East and Asia via ancient trade routes, traveling to the Arabian Peninsula, India and China along the Silk Road. Today sorghum remains a staple food in India and Africa, yet it is still relatively unknown in many parts of the world.”
– Bob’s Red Mill
As part of the Clean Plate Club of Stonyfield, we get to create some fun recipes with brands along the same lines. To me, Stonyfield and Bob’s Red Mill are two brands that pair together perfectly. Their values and mission statements are in sync – they value quality and family over anything!
This is a salad I’d definitely serve family and friends, since it’s hearty and nutritious, plus totally flavorful! The grains are dressed in a simple Greek yogurt and balsamic syrup dressing. Whisk together the two and you’ve got a tart, sweet dressing that paired perfectly with the hearty grains and fresh asparagus.
Sorghum Asparagus Salad with Creamy Balsamic Dressing
for the salad:
- 2 cups cooked sorghum
- 6 steamed asparagus spears cut into 1" pieces
- ½ cup salted pumpkin seeds
- 4 large dates seeded and chopped
- spring greens mix to taste
- drizzle of good olive oil
- salt to taste
for the dressing:
- 4 tablespoons Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons balsamic syrup
- Toss all the ingredients together and serve room temperature or chilled.
- For the dressing, whisk together the yogurt and balsamic until well incorporated. Dollop on salad right before serving.
- Store in an airtight container or glass jars. Store dressing separately.
Disclaimer: I am honored to be a member of the Stonyfield Clean Plate Club. I received product or coupons for writing this post, but all opinions are my own.