Summer on Cape Cod officially starts on Memorial Day weekend. Families start flocking to their summer houses (at least for the weekend), businesses are opening their doors and extending their hours, and the food becomes fresher, flavorful, and focused on seasonality. Today, I’m sharing a recipe for Grilled Cauliflower Steaks with Jamaican Jerk Cashew Sauce, showcasing our latest obsession: Sweet Sunshine sauces!
Come summer, our schedules are packed with weekend cookouts, late night camp fires, and spending extra times with friends and family. Whether it’s a potluck event and everyone brings a dish, or you’re cooking for just you and your special someone, this recipe easily caters and adapts to any palate.
Cauliflower “steaks” are the latest and hottest trend in cooking techniques this year. They are a simple but flavorful way to cater to the vegetarian crowd by serving them a substantial meal and not just a bowl of light salad greens. Cauliflower “steaks” are hearty, provide great texture, and are the perfect canvas to be slathered with our Jamaican Jerk Cashew Sauce!
Even better, we’ve partnered up with Sweet Sunshine, a line of all natural fat-free condiments that was created from a treasured family recipe. Their company motto is: “Flavor before Fire”, which is definitely important in sauces where you still want that kick from your beloved spice, but you don’t want to be chugging a gallon of milk afterwards. These sauces are the perfect balance of sweet, spicy, acidic, and all around deliciousness.
Inspired by family, be sure to read the interview with Paul Sarris, where he recounts how his father was the inspiration behind these sauces and how they came about. In this recipe, we used their Jamaican Jerk sauce, in which they take their classic “Warm” sauce and add authentic Jamaican seasonings to make this sauce. It’s been a consistent first place winner in many competitions, and the spice although present, is not excessive. In this recipe, it adds that much needed depth of flavor to make this cauliflower dish stellar.
To make things even more interesting, Sweet Sunshine is sponsoring a giveaway of all SIX of their sauces for one winner, so be sure to scroll down and enter the giveaway – it’s a good one!
Grilled Cauliflower Steaks with Jamaican Jerk Cashew Cream Sauce
for the cauliflower steaks:
- 1 whole cauliflower head
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
for the sauce:
- ½ cup roasted cashews soaked overnight in water
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- ¼ cup almond milk
- 4 tablespoons Sweet Sunshine Jamaican Jerk sauce
- salt and pepper to taste
- to serve:
- crushed roasted cashews
- fresh cilantro
- Preheat your grill or grill pan. Remove leaves and trim stem end of cauliflower, leaving the core intact. Place cauliflower core on cutting board and using a large knife, slice it into four 1/2" 'steaks'.
- In a simmering pot of water, carefully blanch the cauliflower for 4 minutes, or until softened a bit. Brush with olive oil on both sides and grill for about 3-5 minutes on each side. Keep warm.
- To make sauce: drain water from cashews. Place in a small food processor with coconut oil for 5 minutes, until a puree forms. Add milk, Sweet Sunshine Jamaican Jerk sauce, and season to taste. Blend until all ingredients are incorporated. If sauce needs to loosen up, add a splash of cool water.
- To serve: Place grilled cauliflower on plate, slather on Jamaican jerk cashew cream sauce, sprinkle with crushed cashews and fresh cilantro. Serve immediately.
Disclaimer: This post is sponsored by Sweet Sunshine and my time for creating this recipe has been compensated. That being said, opinions are my own and I’d never recommend a product I didn’t love! So go and grab a jar or two of these sauces for your summer cookouts!