If you’re looking for a vegan version of the classic Italian bolognese sauce, this is the recipe for you! This Vegan Tofu Bolognese is rich, flavorful, and a new favorite for us!
Bolognese is one of my favorite dishes, and one I already have a few variations of on the blog:
Maybe this blog should be named Cooking with Bolognese…
Quick and Easy Bolognese, takes under an hour to make and results in an unctuous sauce – that might not be super authentic, but is super delicious.
Vegetarian Bolognese, perfect for Meatless Monday dinner – it’s hearty, luscious, and vegetable packed, made simply with veggie burgers as the base.
Beyond Meat Bolognese, a recipe that is entirely vegan but satisfies any hearty, stick to your bones craving and is one of the top three recipes of all time here.
Did I truly need one more bolognese recipe?
I think so! This Tofu Bolognese is one I’ve been meaning to try my hand at and let me tell you, the results are fantastic.
As with most recipes in the past year, I have been trying to reduce my food waste and grocery budget, so recipes are simple and with what we already have available. I’m not the type of blogger that’s heading to the store every day for a million ingredients. This tofu bolognese recipe came about a block of tofu that had been staring at me for months. It was about to expire. I could not let it go to waste.
This sauce is so rich, so flavorful, I’ve made it countless times after testing this vegan tofu bolognese recipe. I’ve frozen it in quart containers because it makes for a quick dinner and reheats wonderfully.
How To Make Vegan Tofu Bolognese:
The process has a few steps, but well worth the effort:
- crumble the tofu and season
- roast the seasoned tofu on a baking sheet with silicone pad
- make sauce in a large stockpot with fresh vegetables, tomato sauce, and seasoned tofu
- enjoy with red pepper flakes and nutritional yeast topping!
Vegan Tofu Bolognese
- 14 ounces extra firm tofu
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 medium carrots peeled and diced
- 1 large yellow onion peeled and diced
- 3 cloves garlic peeled and diced
- 2 stalks celery diced
- 1, 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- ¾ cup red wine or vegetable stock
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350F and line a baking sheet with parchment or silicone pad.
- In a large bowl, crumble the tofu - no need to drain it as it will dry out in the oven.
- Toss tomato paste, salt, pepper, oregano, basil, fennel, soy sauce, and nutritional yeast in the tofu and massage in. Spread crumbles on baking sheet and bake for 30-40 minutes, until dried out.
- In a large stock pot over medium heat, while the tofu bakes, heat the olive oil. Add carrots, onion, garlic, and celery. Let cook for 10-15 minutes, until aromatic.
- Add crushed tomatoes and red wine/vegetable stock.
- Lower heat and cook until tofu is ready.
- Once tofu is baked, add crumbles to sauce, and taste. Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve over pasta of choice.
DID YOU TRY THIS RECIPE? I want to see it! Follow Cooking with Books on Instagram, take a photo, and tag me in it. I love to know what you are making and how you made this recipe your own!