Summer is in full swing and the tomatoes are slowing making their way to our farmer’s markets and gardens. This is THE best tomato recipe for the summer – a tender, flaky BASIL flecked crust topped with roasted fresh tomatoes and mozzarella, what more could you ask for?!
Tomatoes, mozarella, basil – three essential ingredients that are always in my kitchen once the summer kicks off. Because with these three things, I can also make a quick dish for lunch or dinner, like this Tomato Mozzarella Galette with Basil Flecked Crust. Yes, I did say BASIL FLECKED Crust. It’s so fresh and delicious, the tomatoes being roasted beforehand so the galette is pristine and not too wet after baking it. Grab some fresh mozzarella and you’re set!
Galette’s technical definition is “a flat round cake of pastry or bread”, but in my world it’s basically a lazy girl’s pie! This dough forms super quickly in the food processor, the basil scenting it with it’s insanely fresh aroma. While the dough rests, I roasted thick sliced tomatoes from the market until they lost a bit of their moisture, so the galette wouldn’t get too soggy, which tends to happen with high moisture fillings.
You can also use sun-dried tomatoes for this, but I do like a bit of juicy tomatoes in each bite, so I recommend sticking to the recipe! Other savory galette combinations include:
- zucchini and ricotta
- squash, goat cheese, and sage
- potato and leek
- asparagus and zucchini
- onion and thyme
Hope you feel inspired to try this easy galette recipe this summer! Let me know in the comments if you do – would love to hear about it!
- 1½ cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 stick unsalted butter, chilled
- ¼ cup ice cold water
- handful fresh basil, about ½ cup chopped
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella
- 5 medium tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon cold butter
- 1 egg, for egg wash
- Preheat oven to 400F and slice tomatoes about ½ inch thick. Lay them out on a baking tray and roast for 30 minutes until slightly dehydrated.
- While the tomatoes roast, make the dough by pulsing all the ingredients but the basil in the food processor. Once it comes together, remove from processor and knead in the chopped basil. Let rest for 1 hour.
- To form galette, roll out dough over floored surface and then place on a lined baking tray. Sprinkle the center of it with cornmeal. Arrange the roasted tomatoes and mozzarella on top and dot with butter. Crimp the edges over and brush egg wash over it. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and bake for 30 minutes, or until golden brown. Let cool for ten minutes before cutting and serving.