If there’s one root vegetable I love the most, it’s got to be sweet potatoes. But come summer, I tend to eat less of them since they are typically part of heartier, fall inspired meals. Today, I’m lightening up the sweet potato repertoire by introducing you to my top four ways to make sweet potato toast!
Just like avocado toast came into our worlds and shook it upside down, sweet potato toast is on it’s way to becoming the second best thing. And honestly in my opinion, it’s the first best thing because it’s healthier and more flavorful than a piece of toasted bread. Sweet Potatoes are an incredibly nutritious food, packed with antioxidants like beta carotene, vitamins C, E & D, and minerals such as manganese and iron. It’s also know to be a great anti-stress food, as it helps relaxes the muscles and steady the nerves. Not only that, but it tastes delicious!
This post, unlike 99% of the other posts on this blog, won’t really have a recipe, but more like suggestions to create the dream sweet potato toast of your life.
Starting with the photo above, you can see from top to bottom:
Avocado Cilantro Toast
Curried Egg Salad & Grape Toast
Ham, Egg, & Cheese Toast
Fresh Caprese Toast
How to make sweet potato toast:
- Wash and scrub a sweet potato until clean.
- With a sharp chef’s knife, slice the unpeeled potato lengthwise into thin strips.
- Place strips either on a baking sheet in the oven with a little olive oil, in a saute pan with a little butter, or even on the grill. They cook in under 5 minutes, since they are so thin.
- Once cooked, quickly season them while hot with salt and pepper. Potatoes need salt. Salt is a potato’s best friend.
- Let your imagination run wild with the toppings – my suggestions below.
For the Avocado Cilantro Toast: in a small bowl, make guacamole simply by mashing an avocado with salt, pepper, and a hint of line juice. Slather on sweet potato and sprinkle with fresh cilantro leaves.
For the Curried Egg Salad & Grape Toast: using hard boiled eggs, make egg salad with mayonnaise, seasonings, and add a teaspoon of curry powder. Dollop over the sweet potato toast and top with fresh red grapes for sweetness.
For the Ham, Egg, & Cheese Toast: place a slice of cheese on warm sweet potato toast, top with ham and a fried egg. Serve immediately.
Fresh Caprese Toast: perfect for summer tomatoes and fresh basil, alternate them with mozzarella and top with sea salt. A slathering of pesto is also delicious underneath!
Photography by Stacey Rupolo / Recipe by Cooking with Books