Sweet potatoes might just be my favorite root vegetables and today I’m sharing my Sweet Potato & Chickpea Salad with Tahini Dressing – also known as the salad that gets me through winter every year.
What is it about sweet potatoes that I’m so drawn to them? They’re filling, hearty, and so nutritious, I sometimes forget there are other types of potatoes.
Sweet potatoes are an excellent source of vitamin A (in the form of beta-carotene). They are also a very good source of vitamin C, manganese, copper, pantothenic acid and vitamin B6. Additionally, they are a good source of potassium, dietary fiber, niacin, vitamin B1, vitamin B2 and phosphorus. – Source
This quick salad comes together with chickpeas for a protein packed meal – whether you eat it on its own or add a piece of grilled chicken or fish to it, it’ll quickly become a staple in your home. The dressing, tahini based and finger licking good, blends some antioxidant rich spices like turmeric with bright lemon juice and fresh olive oil to create a decadent but healthy salad dressing you’ll want to use on everything.
Make a version of my Tahini Turmeric Salad Dressing – this one with a bit of yogurt to make it all even more delicious and protein rich.
Photography by Stacey Rupolo / Recipe by Cooking with Books
Sweet Potato & Chickpea Salad with Tahini Dressing
- 4 sweet potatoes peeled and cubed
- 1 large can of chickpeas drained
- ¼ cup tahini
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 lemon juiced
- ½ teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ cup fresh chopped herbs: basil parsley, cilantro work well
- In a large pot with boiling salted water, cook the sweet potato cubes until tender but not mush.
- Let cool and mix with chickpeas.
- Blend the tahini, olive oil, lemon juice, and spices with either a fork by hand or a quick shake in a mason jar. Pour over sweet potatoes and chickpeas.
- Toss to mix and add fresh herbs. Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve chilled or room temperature.