This recipe for Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal will be your go to recipe to wake up to during the cold fall and winter mornings. But this post isn’t about this recipe – it’s about how I’ve been a liar. Promise me you’ll read and we can still be friends?
Before we talk about this incredible Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal – let’s talk about oatmeal on its own first. More specifically, how I haven’t had a bite of oatmeal in over 30 years (and I’m 31!). Yes, I’ve posted oatmeal recipes before – those recipes were taste tested by friends and family, never by myself. I just couldn’t eat oatmeal – I though it’d be a repulsive texture.
But low and behold, I was visiting Nantucket and the hotel buffet had a little bowl of coconut oatmeal – which I took because I wanted a cute Instagram shot. After the photo, I thought to myself -maybe this is good? Maybe this is the time oatmeal will be your thing? And believe it or not my friends, I LOVED IT. It’s like I’v discovered a new lover, a new adventure. The possibilities with oatmeal are endless and I cannot wait to tackle them all. But first, we start the season with this Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal recipe – if you love pumpkin pie, you’ll love this for breakfast.
It’s packed with my favorite spices: ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cardamom, and with pumpkin puree to give you those healthy benefits. Sweetened with coconut sugar, it’s just sweet enough to get you through a bowl, but not too much since it is breakfast time. Top with a handful of pecans for healthy fats and a drizzle of cream because life is too short for anything fat free. Now go forth and eat all the oatmeal – I sure am!
- 1½ cups water
- ½ cup steel cut oats
- 2 tablespoons pumpkin puree
- 2 tablespoons Stonyfield French Vanilla Yogurt
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar
- ¼ teaspoon: ginger, cinnamon
- pinch of: freshly ground nutmeg, cardamom
- toppings: pecans, maple syrup, heavy cream
- Boil the water in a small saucepan and once boiling, add oats and reduce heat.
- Cover and cook for 20 minutes.
- Add all the ingredients and cook for two more minutes, until sugar melts.
- Drizzle and sprinkle toppings - serve immediately.