Tea lovers: Have you ever considered making your own loose leaf tea blends at home? They’re natural, cost effective, and so rewarding! This post will show you how easy it is to do!
This year, I gave myself a challenge to drink tea every day of the year and document it. Well, if you follow the hashtag #365teasin2016, you see that my friend Dana has also joined me in this feat. Granted, I’ve missed some days, but hey – I’m not perfect. But it’s a challenge that I love not only for the fun part of sharing on social media, but for the health benefits and rituals that surround tea. Most of my favorite teas are herbal teas, meaning they are caffeine free and I can sip them from the early morning to late at night.
Herbal and floral teas are what I’m sharing today, with a tea blend that combines four of my favorite ingredients: lavender, chamomile, calendula, and rose hips.
These four ingredients make for the most relaxing, most immune-boosting tea blend you’ll ever taste, at last in my opinion and here’s why (note: I’m not a doctor and these are just commonly known benefits of these ingredients – I’m not claiming miracles here folks!):
- Lavender is known for its relaxing benefits and a great flower to treat anxiety and depression. Just the smell of lavender before bed calms my nerves if I’ve had a long day. It’s also known to help with upset stomachs – perfect as an after dinner treat.
- Chamomile is hands down my favorite flower to brew for a cup of tea since I tend to sip tea right before bed and its calming effects are just what I need then. It’s also great for cramps, indigestion, and is known to help with headaches.
- Calendula, also known as marigolds, are great to have on hand not only for teas but for it’s healing powers. It’s great for scrapes and bruises (stay tuned for a DIY calendula oil!). It also reduces inflammation, and aid in oral health.
- Rose hips are the red, cherry-sized fruit of the rose plant and its high vitamin-C content made it an alternative to scarce citrus fruits during World War II. Adding this to your tea blend protects your immune system, and contain antioxidants like carotenoids, flavonoids, and polyphenols.
You can purchase these at local herbal shops or online. While traveling on Cape Cod with family, we stopped into Atlantic Spice Company and that’s where I purchased all my herbs by the pound (so much cheaper!). Check local sources before ordering online, but if you can’t find anything where you live, I recommend their site.
Disclaimer: Before taking any teas or blends, consult with your doctor.
Now, go forth and blend some tea!
DIY Loose Leaf Tea Blend
- 2 cups dried calendula flowers
- 2 cups dried chamomile flowers
- 1 cup dried rose hips
- 1 cup dried lavender buds
- Carefully stir together all the herbs and flowers in a large bowl.
- Store in airtight jars and containers in a cool, dry space.
Dont drink this tea if you are pregnant or trying to concieve.
How much in a cup of hot water and how long do you steep ? Ty
I use 1 heaping tablespoon to 8 ounces of water! Thanks for commenting – I’ll also had to the post!
I’ve never thought of doing this but it’s kind of a no brainer. How soothing to pick out your own perfect blend!
I so love this idea! <3 Not only do you have control of the flavor, then, but it's so pretty in the process!
Love your homemade blend!