Lavender French Madeleines are a wonderful welcome to spring! Light floral notes of fresh edible flowers pair incredibly well with the butter-based sponge of this cookie/cake.
After my visit to Los Poblanos Inn in Albuquerque, the historic inn set among 25 acres of lavender fields, I couldn’t come home without some of their incredible organic flowers. Even though I’ve never been to Paris, I imagine the French countryside filled with that floral aroma. If you can’t get to Paris, Albuquerque and the fields of Los Poblanos are a close second.
Sipping on tea is one of my favorite ways to wind down at the end of a long, busy day. Even better if I can accompany that tea with a small cookie laced with lavender – double the relaxation.
Lavender is readily available online at Los Poblanos Farm Shop or at my favorite spice shop, Spiceologist. These madeleine cookies are the best excuse to eat a sweet treat before bed, as the flowers are best known for relaxing the nervous system and inducing sleep. It reduces stress and anxiety, so it’s a great floral herb to keep around the house. Sprinkle it on your baked goods, add it to your smoothies and teas, or just put a little sachet of it under your pillow for a restful night sleep.
I hope you enjoy these sweet lavender treats!
- ⅔ cup all purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1½ teaspoons culinary lavender
- ⅓ cup granulate sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup butter, melted
- 4 tablespoons powdered sugar
- water, to desired consistency
- extra lavender buds
- Preheat the oven to 375F and butter your madeleine pan. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, crush the lavender buds into the sugar. Add the vanilla, eggs, and melted butter.
- Ad the liquid ingredients to dry ingredients and mix by hand until incorporated.
- Pour about 2 tablespoons into each madeleine cup - about ¾ full, no more.
- Bake until golden around the edges, about 15 minutes.
- Cool for 10 minutes and remove from pan. Cool all the way while making glaze.
- To make glaze, in a small bowl place powdered sugar and add water by the teaspoon until consistency is smooth.
- Dip cooled madeleines halfway into the glaze and sprinkle with lavender buds. Let set for 30 minutes before serving.