Cheesy amaranth breakfast bowls fit right in with the breakfast bowl rage. Sharp cheddar packs the whole grain with deliciousness, plus I top it with some of my favorite ingredients: runny egg, sautéed kale, and avocado!
Bowls, bowls, bowls! Nothing has become trendier than serving a delicious meal in a bowl. From a breakfast Pumpkin Smoothie Bowl to a Spicy Salmon Sushi Bowl, it’s a trend I’m as obsessed as the next avocado toast lover.
Total comfort comes into play when you dip your spoon into a bowl of goodness, like this cheesy amaranth breakfast bowl.
If you’ve never had amaranth, today is the day I introduce you to one of my favorite whole grains in the world.
A staple food of the ancient Aztecs, amaranth is gluten-free food and a source of complete protein. It contains all the essential amino acids, including lysine, which is lacking in most grains. My source of a bag of these tiny jewels is Bob’s Red Mill. Mind you, this isn’t a sponsored post. It’s just the best spot to grab your whole grains!
Cooked and then steeped in light cream, this amaranth is unlike any other you’ll ever taste. A sprinkling of my favorite sharp Cabot Cheddar melts into the amaranth & makes this such a soulful and tasty breakfast, but still packed with fiber and protein. To add even more protein, I’ve topped it with an egg I’ve fried in coconut oil, as well as sautéed kale. And as if we don’t have enough healthy fats, slice up some ripe avocados to complete this Cheesy Amaranth Breakfast Bowl.
Cheesy Amaranth Breakfast Bowl
- 1 cup amaranth cooked
- ½ cup light cream
- ¼ cup shredded sharp cheddar
- salt and pepper to taste
for the bowl:
- ½ avocado sliced
- handful fresh kale chopped
- 1 large egg
- Over medium heat, whisk together the amaranth, cream, and cheddar until it becomes a smooth mixture. Season with salt and pepper, while simmering for about 5 minutes until amaranth thickens.
- In saute pan with a drizzle of coconut oil, sauté the kale until tender. Remove kale and in the same pan add extra coconut oil and fry your egg until crispy on the edges.
- To prepare the bowl, spoon cheese amaranth into a bowl and top with slice avocado, fried egg, and sautéed kale. Serve immediately.