The best healthy turkey chili? Really?! Oh yes, my friends. Really!
When you label a recipe the best, you have to deliver, and oh boy did I! This is hands down, by far, the best healthy turkey chili recipe you’ll ever taste. It’s spiced, it’s packed with protein, and it’s amazing when consumed by the spoonful or with corn chips!
If I could eat chili every day for the rest of my life, I honestly would. And if I had to eat chili, I’d choose my best healthy turkey chili as the one and only chili to eat for days to come.
Thanks to the lean turkey meat it’s not going to pack the pounds on, and healthy doesn’t mean it has to taste bland or boring! There’s a combination of spices in this chili, along with black beans, red beans, and corn kernels. This chili is so delicious that you’ll have bowl after bowl of this chili without boring your taste buds.
Chili brings back many memories, even if it wasn’t something I grew up eating. During our time at culinary school, my best friend and I decided to enter a chili cookout. We didn’t win, but we served up awesome chili (with sides of fried yucca sticks!) that won the hearts of our friends.
Since that competition, I’ve attended a variety of chili contests in the local island area, and I can say that chili is a controversial food. Will there be beans, or no beans? Ground meat or chopped meat? Spicy or outrageously wild? The possibilities are endless!
I ventured into the secrets behind a foolproof chili in an article I wrote for the Martha’s Vineyard Times last year. I learned that every state has its own chili recipe, and every family has its own way of making it.
I hope you’ll try my best healthy turkey chili recipe – it’s a winner!
Here’s the best healthy turkey chili recipe. Enjoy!
Best Healthy Turkey Chili
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 green bell pepper deseeded and chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 pounds ground turkey
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 tablespoons cumin
- 1 tablespoon or more kosher salt
- 28 ounce can diced tomatoes pureed
- 1 can red beans rinsed
- 1 can black beans rinsed
- 1 can corn kernels rinsed
- 4 cups liquid water or chicken stock
- In a large stock pot, start by heating the coconut oil and sautéing the onion, green pepper, and garlic until aromatic.
- Add the ground turkey and stir to break up and cook for approximately 10-15 minutes until browned. Mix in the seasonings, tomatoes, beans, corn, and liquid.
- Simmer for one hour, until chili has reduced.