Three of my favorite ingredients come together in this one-pot dish: chicken, chickpeas, and curry! Continue reading to find out how quick and easy this meal is.
The chilly temperatures have arrived way too soon here in New England – and I’m simmering soup pots on the stove like it’s my business! Testing and re-testing soup recipes is one of my favorite things, especially because my husband and I can live on soups all fall an winter long!
Today, I’m bringing you this Chicken, Chickpea, & Curry Soup that will make you want to curl up under a blanket – not only is it a hot soup, but the curry spices make it even warmer flavor wise. You can make this soup vegetarian by just using vegetable stock and excluding the chicken, as the chickpeas are a great source of protein already.
Another thing I’ve started loving is using coconut oil for all my cooking – I kept a jar next to my stovetop with a spoon in it and just use every time instead of vegetable or olive oil to sauté vegetables – it’s those small changes that end up being great for our health. Give it a try this season!
One Pot Chicken & Chickpea Curry Soup
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 2 chicken breasts skinless and boneless, diced
- 1 large yellow onion diced
- 1 large red onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 carrots peeled and diced
- 1 yellow pepper cored and diced
- 2 stalks celery diced
- 3 tablespoons curry powder or curry paste
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 large sweet potato peeled and diced
- 1 can drained chickpeas
- 1-2 quarts vegetable or chicken stock
- In a large stock pot over medium high heat, place the coconut oil until melted.
- Saute the chicken pieces until cooked halfway and remove from pot.
- Add the onions, garlic, carrot, pepper, and celery and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Season with curry and tomato paste.
- Add the sweet potato, chickpeas, and chicken stock and simmer for 15 minutes, until sweet potatoes are tender.
- Remove 1 cup of the stew ingredients (stock and cooke vegetables) and blend until pureed. Add this puree back into the stew - this adds a lusciously smooth texture.
- Add the chicken and finish cooking. Serve over rice or whole grains.