Mexican-style Beef Stuffed Zucchini is an ideal summer meal, especially if you’re losing inspiration on what to make with the endless supply of zucchini from the garden!
Who doesn’t consume their fair share of zucchini during the hot summer months? Somehow even without having a home garden, we end up with more zucchini then we know what to do with! Whether it’s sneaking them from the restaurant’s garden or picking up a dozen too many from the farmer’s market, we always have a well stocked fridge drawer of them. In a search for finding ways to cook them up – other than spiraling them – I was inspired by these Stuffed Zucchini Boats by my food blogger friend Lori of Recipe Girl. These are a perfect meal and you only have to make a nice, fresh salad to go alongside them to round out your dinner time. Leftovers also make the perfect lunch or you can do what I did and chop them up and toss in pasta with a little olive oil and more cheese!
Here are other great recipes using zucchini from some of my favorite food bloggers around the Internet:
Zucchini Chips, by Table for Two
Blueberry Zucchini Cake with Lemon Buttercream, by I am Baker
Healthy Zucchini Muffins, by Gimme Some Oven
One Pan Lemon Herb Salmon and Zucchini, by Damn Delicious
Grain Free Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Zucchini Bread, by Ambitious Kitchen
Turkey Stuffed Zucchini Boats, by It’s Yummi
I hope you enjoy the Mexican-style stuffed zucchini recipe!
- 4 medium zucchini
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 small red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- ½ cup shredded cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Grease a baking sheet with oil and set aside.
- Slice zucchini in half lengthwise and scoop out the insides.
- In a large saute pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat.
- Cook the onion, bell pepper, and garlic until soft and translucent.
- Add the ground beef and taco seasoning and cook through, about 15-20 minutes.
- In the meantime while the beef cooks, pre-bake the zucchini for 15 minutes. Place on baking tray, salt and pepper the insides and bake before filling.
- Once pre-baked, fill with ground beef mixture, top with cheese, and finish baking for another 15 minutes.