For me, spring hits when I start using peas in my recipes, no matter if they are fresh or frozen. The moment they go into a recipe – I declare it spring! This Quinoa Risotto with Bacon and Peas is the perfect way to celebrate the season, join me.
Today, I’m excited to share a new book by Camilla V. Saulsbury and one of my favorite brands, Bob’s Red Mill Everyday Gluten-Free Cookbook. A delicious collaboration, it brings us with 281 gluten-free recipes that are perfect for the every day (but plenty are ideal for special occasions as well!)
Out of all the amazing recipes in this book, I decided to share a quinoa recipe since it’s one of my favorite gluten free grains. Classified as a super-food by nutritionist and a “super-crop” by the United Nations, is one of the best sources of protein in the vegetable kingdom!
Instead of cooking quinoa as you normally would, this recipe has you cook it as you would traditional risotto, with some stirring involved. The grain cooks and absorbs all the amazing liquids like wine and vegetable broth, and when you stir the cheese, herbs, and bacon into it, it becomes a complete meal. Give this recipe a try next time you’re craving quinoa!
- 3 slices thick-cut bacon, chopped
- 1¼ cups quinoa, rinsed
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- ⅓ cup dry white wine
- 2 cups ready-to-use GF vegetable broth
- 1 cup frozen petite peas, thawed
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1⁄4 cup packed fresh flat-leaf (Italian) parsley leaves, chopped
- 1 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Fine sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- In a large saucepan, cook bacon over medium-high heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, transfer bacon to a plate lined with paper towels. Drain off all but 1 tbsp (15 mL) fat.
- Add quinoa to the pan and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add thyme and wine; cook, stirring, for 3 to 5 minutes or until liquid is evaporated.
- Stir in broth and bring to a boil, stirring often. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 12 minutes.
- Stir in peas, half the cheese, parsley and lemon juice; simmer for 1 minute or until heated through. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve sprinkled with bacon and the remaining cheese.
Disclaimer: This is a sponsored post on behalf of the Bob’s Red Mill. All opinions are my own, as well as my ever-lasting love for all things quinoa!