The thing with deviled eggs is that I personally have no willpower when it comes to eating them. I could easily eat a dozen in one sitting. Especially when they are topped with red wine vinegar pickled onions. The perfect appetizer for your upcoming spring get-togethers!
With spring quickly and hopefully approaching, I’m in the spirit of all things eggs! Nothing says rebirth and spring get togethers more than egg dishes, specifically these deviled eggs. They’re an easy appetizer to make, everyone I know loves them, and today we’re topping them with pickled onions.
This recipe incorporated two very important techniques I think everyone should know: boiling the perfect hard boiled egg and pickling onions! This month, Holland House Vinegars and Wines challenged me to create a spring recipe and these deviled eggs quickly came into mind. Using the Holland House Red Wine Vinegar, these pickled onions turned out amazingly!
How to cook the perfect hardboiled egg: place eggs in saucepan in one layer and cover with cold water. Place on stove over high heat. Once eggs start to boil, turn off heat, and cover for 11 minutes. Have an ice bath ready – after the 11 minutes, drain hot water, shake eggs in pot to crack shells, and place in ice water until ready to peel.
How to pickle onions: you can use red, yellow, or white onions; thinly slice the onions (I use a mandolin!) and place in a glass jar that you will store them. To make pickling liquid, a mixture of vinegar, salt, sugar, and pepper is simmer until salt & sugar are dissolved, to be poured over the onions. Pickling takes anywhere from 2 days to a week – these keep well in the refrigerator for up to two weeks. They are delicious not only on deviled eggs, but in salads, tacos, pasta dishes, and with grilled proteins like chicken or pork!
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- ¾ cup Holland House Red Wine Vinegar
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- ½ tablespoon salt
- ½ tablespoon coarse black pepper
- 6 eggs
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon mustard
- salt and pepper to taste
- sweet paprika, to sprinkle on top
- Place the thinly sliced onions in a glass jar.
- In a small saucepan, simmer the vinegar, sugar, salt, and pepper, until sugar and salt dissolves.
- Pour hot vinegar mixture over onions and let stand until cool. Refrigerate for 2 days and up to 2 weeks.
- To make perfect hard-boiled eggs: place eggs in a saucepan, cover with cold water, and place over high heat. Once eggs come up to a boil, turn off the heat and cover for 11 minutes.
- Crack shells and cool in ice water. Peel, cut in half, and remove yolks.
- Place yolks in a small bowl and mash with mayonnaise, mustard, and salt & pepper.
- Pipe mixture back into egg whites, top with pickled onions and a sprinkling of sweet paprika.
Disclaimer: This post is sponsored by Holland House. All opinions are my own.