Creamy Swedish Meatballs are total comfort food – even if you’re not from Sweden! Learn how to make these flavorful and delicious meatballs below.
If you know me, you know I LOVE meatballs! Whether they are Tandoori Spiced Pork Meatballs, Cherry Chipotle Greek Lamb Meatballs, or Turkey Quinoa Meatballs – I have a fascination with making super flavorful yet incredibly easy meatballs. They’re the perfect meal: just combine with a starch and you’ve got a meal, tuck into some great bread and you’ve got a sandwich, or simmer in a stock and you’ve got soup!
Basically, meatballs are perfection in my eyes. And anything in a creamy sauce wins extra points from me, so these Creamy Swedish Meatballs are just the right recipe to add to my meatball collection. Made with all-beef ground beef and flavored with freshly ground nutmeg and warm cinnamon, it’s the perfect winter meatball.
To make the perfectly sized meatballs (since I tend to like smaller meatballs), the OXO Small Cookie Scoop gets the job done quickly and uniformly! Being who I am, I like to scoop and roll in my hands for the perfectly shaped meatball. You can just scoop and place in the baking tray, without too much fuss. They’re still just as delicious but not as perfectly round.
Oh and don’t miss this creamy, lusciously rich sauce that they are swimming in. You’ll notice I used evaporated milk in both the meatball mixture as well as the sauce – it’s so much richer than regular milk, making for an exceptional sauce. What takes it over the top is the addition of Stonyfield’s Whole Milk Plain Yogurt! It adds such great texture to the sauce plus a hint of tanginess – perfect balance of flavors for this Creamy Swedish Meatball recipe. Give it a try and let me know how you liked them!
Creamy Swedish Meatballs
for the meatballs:
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- 1 small clove garlic finely chopped
- ¼ teaspoon fresh nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ cup evaporated milk
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 large egg
for the sauce:
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon flour
- ½ cup chicken stock
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- ¼ cup whole milk plain yogurt
- In a small saucepan, melt butter and sauté onion and garlic until soft. Add spices and milk, and bring to a simmer. Pour over the breadcrumbs and let soak for 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- In a large bowl, knead together the breadcrumb paste, ground beef, and egg. Form into small meatballs, place on a baking tray, and bake for 15-20 minutes, until fully cooked.
- While they bake, whisk together butter and flour for the sauce. Pour in the chicken stock, milk, and yogurt. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add cooked meatballs to the sauce and simmer for 10 minutes. Serve immediately over egg noodles, rice, or quinoa.