Looking to turn your regular burgers into a blast into paradise? This Spam Stuffed Pork “Jarlsburger” with Papaya Mango Slaw will make your tastebuds think they’re in right on the beach! This is a sponsored post for Jarlsberg USA.
When Jarlsberg USA approached me to create a recipe for a “burger in paradise“, I immediately jumped on the opportunity. Not only do I adore Jarlsberg cheese, but we’re burger lovers and this was right up our alley. Now, you must be thinking? Why a burger in paradise? Well Jarlsberg USA is currently holding a promotion called “Jarlsberg in Paradise” promotion, where you can enter to win a Jarlsberger raft, either through FB or texting. One raft is being given out per week through Labor Day! Be sure to stop by their Facebook page and enter today. Now, let’s talk a little more about this burger.
Spam Stuffed Pork Cheeseburger: freshly ground pork laced with caramelized sweet onions are what make up this burger. And with a surprise center of Spam, it’s sure to bring flavor to your common burger. Spam is commonly consumed in Hawaii, the paradise that was the inspiration for this burger.
Papaya Mango Slaw: if you can get your hands on fresh mangoes and papayas, make this slaw! A touch of fresh cilantro brightens the fruits and balances the sweetness. Serve this papaya on a burger or even as a salad all on its own.
Pineapple Ketchup: such a quick and easy condiment that pairs so well with this cheeseburger. Imagine the possibilities! We like using organic, no high fructose corn syrup ketchups, which you can then blend with your favorite summer fruit, ours being pineapple.
Jarlsberg In Paradise: Spam Stuffed Cheeseburger
- ½ cup ketchup
- ½ cup chopped pineapple
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon Sriracha
- 1 large mango peeled
- 1 medium papaya peeled
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro
- 1 medium yellow onion sliced
- 2 pounds fresh ground pork
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 can of Spam
- 6-8 thick slices of Jarlsberg Cheese
For the Pineapple Ketchup
- Place ketchup, pineapple, fish sauce, and Sriracha in a blender and mix until smooth. Reserve in fridge until ready to use.
For the Papaya Mango Slaw
- Thinly slice the papaya and the mango, making sure to avoid the seeds/pit. Once sliced, cut lengthwise to achieve thin strips. Toss in a small bowl with the fresh cilantro.
For the Spam Stuffed Cheeseburger
- In a saute pan over medium heat, caramelize the sliced onion until translucent and sweet. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, toss together the ground pork, minced garlic and salt. Add caramelized onions and knead until combined.
- To form burgers: using a ring mold, press the ground pork halfway up to the ring and place a Spam cube in the center. Press more ground pork on top and lift ring mold away. Cook over the grill or in a cast iron pan, serve with the slaw and ketchup. Happy grilling!
Disclosure: This is a sponsored post by Jarlsberg USA and I was compensated for this recipe and post. As always, all opinions and recipes are my own. And my love for cheese – 110% mine.