Bacon mushroom yogurt cream pasta is a delicious, quick and easy dinner recipe that’s made with Stonyfield yogurt and Applegate bacon.
Disclosure: As part of Stonyfield’s Clean Plate Club, I received free product coupons for Stonyfield yogurt and Applegate bacon. No further compensation was received.
If you know me, you know that I love bacon. I’ve made Spiced Couscous and Walnut Salad (with bacon), Pumpkin-Bacon Brussels Sprouts (with bacon), Chopped Salads (with bacon), Cabbage Slaw (with bacon), Jalapeño Bites (with bacon), Maple Bourbon Coffee Popcorn (with bacon)…the list goes on and on!
But let’s be real – I was eating the wrong kind of bacon. M and I typically buy whatever bacon is on sale, organic or not, full of antibiotics and nitrates or not. And considering the amount of bacon we consume, it was a complete eyeopener when we discovered the Applegate Organics Sunday Bacon. Sure, we eat a sleeve of Oreo cookies now and then, but we certainly try to balance that with healthy smoothies and salads. But since bacon is our thing, we’re happy to have found one that’s not bad for us. Heck, I dare call this bacon healthy!
A little more about Applegate: For more than 20 years, Applegate has been producing high-quality natural and organic hot dogs, bacon, sausages, deli meats, cheese and frozen products. Natural can mean many things, but when Applegate says their products are natural, consumers are guaranteed that the meat inside is:
- Raised without antibiotics or hormones
- From animals fed a vegetarian or 100% grass diet treated with humane animal standards
- Free of added chemical nitrites, nitrates or phosphates
- Free of artificial ingredients or preservatives
(In the picture above, I topped my pasta with a dollop of Strawberry Hazelnut Pesto.)
As a Clean Plate Club member, I’m always trying to incorporate Stonyfield products into my recipes. Not only because I’m part of this club, but because their products are organic, and because they are environmentally and farmer friendly, sourcing ingredients from Organic Valley/CROPP, a Wisconsin-based dairy cooperative of over 1,300 family farmers throughout the US!
This bacon mushroom pasta is a bacon lover’s dream come true. By no means is it healthy, but it will make you happy, and happy people are healthy people!
I hope you love this bacon mushroom yogurt cream pasta recipe!
- 1 pound thin pasta, like spaghetti or angel hair
- ½ pound Applegate Organics bacon, diced
- ¼ pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup Stonyfield Greek yogurt, plain
- 1 cup Stonyfield heavy whipping cream
- lemon zest, to decorate
- Cook the pasta as directed on the package. Set aside.
- In a large saute pan (I use my cast iron pan), cook bacon for 5-8 minutes, until crispy. Remove half the bacon fat and add chopped mushrooms.
- Cook mushrooms for another 5 minutes and add butter. Once butter melts, whisk in flour to make a roux. Whisk in yogurt and cream and stir until it thickens, over low heat. Toss with pasta and lemon zest and serve.
PSA from Stonyfield:
Beginning May 1, 2013, the #WakeUpWithStonyfield campaign will give Stonyfield consumers fun, new, and emotional reasons every day to think about, talk about, and taste Stonyfield yogurt.
Read more about the campaign and how you can become involved by visiting http://www.stonyfield.com/wakeup.