Am I the only person that thinks that if I make mini foods, I can eat more of them!? Because if I am, just let me live in my own little bubble. Plus, two bite foods are a great way to bring people together and that’s what these Asian Shrimp Tacos are! We set up the coffee table with small bowls filled with a variety of ingredients: warm sushi rice, sweet Sriracha mayonnaise, an herb salad that uses celery leaves, ginger garlic shrimp, and a stack of warm mini Soft Mission Flour Tortillas! It’s a party within a party – your family (or your husband in my case) get excited to build their own mini tacos, adding a little more or a little less depending on their tastes.
So, to make the mini tortillas, I grabbed some of the new Super Soft Mission Flour Tortillas and cut them using a metal cookie cutter! Easy as that and now you have tortillas that fit in the palm of your hand, perfect for parties!
These Mission tortillas worked very well since they cut very easily, as well as folded and bended without breaking. It’s something we definitely look for in tortillas for burritos, since we’ve tested tortillas at work that break while making burritos for the staff. And when you need to make 50 burritos, it’s not fun to have tortillas breaking!
Let’s talk tacos. Tacos are a party all on their own, since they’re normally layered with a variety of textures, flavors, and temperatures. These Asian Shrimp Tacos are just that: the warm sushi rice laced with the spicy Sriacha mayonnaise, the cool herb salad, and the hot ginger and garlic shrimp will have you craving for more!
Asian Shrimp Tacos
- For Rice
- 1 cup sushi rice
- 1 ¼ cup water
- For Sriracha Mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon Sriracha
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- For Herb Salad
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 2 small carrots grated
- celery leaves
- For Shrimp
- 8-10 shrimp peeled and deveined
- 1 inch piece fresh ginger thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves thinly sliced
- For Tacos
- 3 Mission Soft Tortillas
- Sriracha Mayonnaise
- Sushi Rice
- Herb Salad
- Ginger Garlic Shrimp
For the sushi rice:
- Rinse the rice in running water until water runs clear. Place rice and 1 1/4 cup water in a small pot over high heat. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and cover. Cook until rice is tender.
For the Mayonnaise:
- Whisk together mayonnaise, honey, Sriracha, and soy. Fold into warm sushi rice. Reserve.
- Toss cilantro and celery leaves with grated carrot and season with salt and a drizzle of oil (sesame oil would work well here.)
- Heat a saucepan with 2 tablespoons vegetable oil and cook the ginger and garlic for 2 minutes. Add shrimp and cook until pink, making sure to not overcook.
Assembly of tacos:
- Using a small circle cutter, cut mini-rounds from the soft tortillas and warm them up in oven or cast iron pan. Place herb salad on bottom, top with spicy sweet sushi rice, and ginger garlic shrimp. Decorate with fresh cilantro and serve with lime wedges and extra Sriracha mayonnaise.
Disclosure: Mission sent us a box of their new Super Soft Tortillas to test out and create a recipe to enter in their food blogger contest. Winning recipe gets an all-expense paid trip to the International Food Blogger Conference in Seattle this September!