Double chocolate coconut cupcakes are moist, dark chocolate cupcakes, topped with a white chocolate and coconut buttercream frosting. They’re a decadent dessert that you’ll love to spoil yourself with!
Disclaimer: Green & Black’s provided me with chocolate to make this recipe. Opinions and chocolate love are 100% my own.
“All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn’t hurt.” ― Charles M. Schulz
To take it to the next level, the frosting on these double chocolate coconut cupcakes is coconut flavored.
To make it, I used Green & Black’s white chocolate bar, which are infused with Madagascar vanilla beans! You can visually experience the vanilla specks, and the smell is lusciously sweet!
Food for Thought: Here’s the thing about white chocolate – it’s not REALLY chocolate. Well, that is until 2004, when you couldn’t legally label it white chocolate. Now, all white chocolates are required to contain at least 20% cocoa butter, 14% milk solids, 3.5 percent butterfat, and no more then 55% sugar. With all these requirements, the FDA now accepts the name “white chocolate”.
And damn good white chocolate it is, by Green & Black’s! Melted into the frosting, it’s the perfect pairing to the sweet, tropical coconut flakes. Make sure you use large flakes, unsweetened. These were the ones I used in the recipe.
And remember! Let the white chocolate cool before adding to the butter-based frosting. I was a bit impatient and drizzled it in while still warm, thus my frosting melted a little. Still fine to use, but not as fluffy as I’d want it to be. Now go get in the kitchen, grab your baking supply and a few Green & Black’s bars, and start your baking engines!
I hope you enjoy these double chocolate coconut cupcakes. Here’s the recipe.
Double Chocolate Coconut Cupcakes
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter softened
- ¾ cup superfine sugar
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- ½ tablespoon baking powder
- ⅓ cup whole milk
- 1 medium egg
- 2 ounces Green & Black's Dark Baking Chocolate 72%
- For the frosting:
- 7 tablespoons butter softened
- 2 ½ cups superfine sugar
- ¼ cup coconut milk
- 2 ounces Green & Black's White Chocolate melted
- 1 cup organic coconut flakes
- Heat your oven to 350F.
- In a mixer, stir together the butter, sugar, flour, cocoa powder, and baking powder.
- Whisk together the egg and milk and slowly drizzle into dry ingredients. Do not overmix.
- In the meantime, melt the dark baking chocolate. Stir and let cool. Drizzle and fold into cake batter.
- Scoop into lined muffin tins and bake until done - springy to the touch. Let cool before frosting.
- To make frosting, whisk butter and sugar until creamy. Drizzle in coconut milk slowly. Follow by adding melted COOLED white chocolate. Whisk until fluffy. Decorate cupcakes and top with coconut flakes.