Classic olive oil cake parfaits are delicious, easy to make desserts. Moist olive oil cake is layered with blueberry marmellata and fresh cherries. It’s a taste of summer in a jar!
Disclosure: This is a sponsored post for Bertolli® Olive Oil for the Where Flavor Comes From Summer promotion. I was provided a pair of grilling tongs and brush,and olive oil along with monetary compensation for this post. All opinions are 100% my own.
The Let’s Cook Summer Sweepstakes, launched on June 15th. It’s a Facebook-based sweepstakes celebrating the tastes of summer, and it offers prizes to help at-home cooks discover where flavor comes from. The Grand Prize is a trip for four to Los Angeles for a one-on-one cooking lesson with Chef Fabio Viviani, or $5,000 for a kitchen makeover. Other prizes include Bertolli Olive Oils and Bialetti cookware. The Let’s Cook Summer Sweepstake is hosted on Facebook.
Where Flavor Comes From is a brand new site dedicated to summer grilling. You can download the free Let’s Cook! app, available for iPad, iPhone and iPod touch, with more than five hours of exclusive step-by-step cooking videos from Chef Fabio Viviani.
Notes regarding the classic olive oil cake:
I added fresh cherries and strawberries to the marmellata, as well as 1/4 cup pomegranate grenadine for extra soaking liquid. After the cake cooled, I crumbled it into pieces and layered the berries and cake in a glass jar.
Now here’s the dessert recipe, for classic olive oil cake parfaits. Enjoy!
Classic Olive Oil Cake Parfaits
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups sugar divided
- ¼ cup milk
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 cup Bertolli® Extra Light™ Tasting Olive Oil
- Juice of 1 lemon about 3 Tbsp.
- ¼ cup Bertolli® Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 containers 6 oz. ea. fresh blueberries
- 1 tsp. grated lemon peel
- Preheat oven to 350°. Add eggs and 1-1/4 cups sugar in medium bowl and beat with electric mixer on medium-high speed until eggs are white and fluffy, approx. 5 minutes. Slowly stir in milk. Slowly add flour. Add in baking soda and baking powder and mix just until blended. Add 1 cup Bertolli Extra Light Tasting Olive Oil and beat just until blended. Let mixture rest 5 minutes.
- Coat 13- by 9-inch baking pan with Bertolli Extra Light Tasting Olive Oil.
- Meanwhile, for blueberry marmellata, heat remaining 3/4 cup sugar in large skillet or saucepan until it begins to brown and is caramelized; about 2 minutes. Add lemon juice and 1/4 cup Bertolli Extra Virgin Olive Oil.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and place in oven
- Pour blueberries into caramelized sugar and stir in lemon peel. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, approx. 5 minutes or until blueberries start to burst. Remove from heat.
- Bake cake in center of oven 25 to 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes.
- Serve a slice of cake and top with blueberry sauce. Drizzle with Bertolli Extra Virgin Olive Oil.