There are two types of people in the world: those who love mayonnaise and those who hate it. There aren’t in between people. Mayonnaise is a condiment that separates a fine but very intense line in the food world, so if you belong to the latter group, you can stop reading and click here for Spiced Brownies from the archives. If you love mayonnaise as much as I do, read on!
Mayonnaise is unctuous. It’s the perfect accompaniment to sweet potato fries and when slathered on bread, makes a sandwich so much better. Potato salad isn’t the same without it and my life wouldn’t be either if I couldn’t eat mayonnaise at least a few times a week. Something so perfect doesn’t need to be tweaked with, right? I thought the same until a few days ago, when I wondered: Could you make flavored mayos with different oils? Of course you could and this is where Blood Orange Mayonnaise was born!
This Blood Orange Olive Oil is a product of both Tunisian Blood Oranges and Chetoui & Chemlali Olives that ripen at the exact same time. Pressed together to obtain this extra virgin olive oil, it’s a gorgeous oil to have in your pantry and use in dressings, over roasted chicken, and even in baking.
Blood Orange MayonnaisePrint Recipe
- 1 large organic egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 teaspoon water
- 3 teaspoons lime juice
- ½ cup Blood Orange Olive Oil
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 1-2 teaspoons orange zest
- Stabilize a medium bowl with a towel beneath it. Mix together the egg yolk, sea salt, water, and lime juice with a whisk.
- Combine both oils and slowly drizzle in while whisking vigorously. Start with a few drops at a time and then move up to a drizzle. If added to fast, the emulsion will become too loose. After adding all the oil the mayonnaise is too thick, add a tablespoon of water at a time until it reaches the right consistency.
- Fold in orange zest and reserve in airtight container or jar in the refrigerator.
Disclaimer: Devo Oil sent this product free of charge in order to facilitate this review. As always, my posts are based solely on my testing & tasting and I only recommend products I stand 100% behind.