Can you believe it’s the end of our “A Tasty and Healthy New Year Resolution Challenge” hosted by California Olive Ranch and Bob’s Red Mill? Seems like just yesterday it was the new year and now we’re headed already into February. Time flies when you’re cooking, baking and eating good foods right?!
Today we’ll be baking with olive oil and flours, and while researching the conversion from butter to olive oil, the first site that popped up was from one of our hosts! California Olive Ranch has an entire post dedicated to this topic and it’s a must read for anyone wanting to bake healthier with olive oils. Here are a few excerpts from the post, but head on over to their site and read the entire thing: How to Use Extra Virgin Olive Oil to Bake Instead of Butter
Some cookbook authors such as Fran Gage suggest substituting 3/4ths of the butter called for in a recipe with olive oil – so one stick of butter (4 oz.) would equal 6 tablespoons ofextra virgin olive oil.
Olive oil expert and cookbook author Carol Firenze offers an extensive conversion table for measurements of up to 1 cup of butter in her fine book, The Passionate Olive: 101 Things to Do with Olive Oil (Ballantine Books, 2005). For example: For a cup of butter, or two sticks, she suggests ¾ cup of olive oil.
Using olive oil works great when using blending methods in baking, particularly for brownies, cookies and muffins. Here is my recipe for a chocolaty and nutty treat, with more health benefits than your regular piece of brownie. The marzipan gives it an added chewy texture, and toasts a little on top for that crispy feel.
Marzipan-Olive Oil Brownies
6 tablespoons Everyday Fresh Olive Oil
2 ounces 70-85% dark chocolate, chopped
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tsp instant coffee
2 large eggs
1/2 cup Whole Wheat Pastry Flour
1/4 cup Almond Flour
Quick Almond Marzipan
1 cup almond meal
2 cups powdered sugar
1/2 large egg white
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- Whisk together egg whites and extract. Add powdered sugar and almond meal and combine until a pliable dough is made.
- Roll in plastic wrap and reserve until ready to use.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Melt chopped chocolate and olive oil over a double boiler, careful not to burn the sides.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together sugar, salt, vanilla, instant coffee and eggs. Whisk until smooth and creamy.
- Add flours and stir until incorporated. Spread in an 8×8 inch pan that has been previously greased and bake for 10 minutes. Pull brownie pan out and dot with slices of marzipan. Continue baking for 15 minutes.
- Cool, cut into squares and enjoy!
California Olive Ranch and Bob’s Red Mill
Week Four Giveaway!!
Enter to win a perfect pairing of California Olive Ranch Everyday Fresh
and Whole Wheat Pastry Flour from Bob’s Red Mill.
- Visit either Bob’s Red Mill or California Olive Ranch Facebook pages and retrieve this week’s Virtual Potluck code word. Then use that code word in a sentence in the comments section of this blog post.
- Follow BRM on Twitter
- Follow COR on Twiter
- Follow VirtualPotluck on Twitter
- Tweet the following: “ Win with @Bobs_Red_Mill & @CA_EVOO via @nella22 http://bit.ly/wx6COJ #virtualpotluck
- More Blogs, More Ways to Win: Get additional entries in each week’s giveaways by visiting our host blog and finding other participating VP bloggers sites to comment on.