Beets, inspired by the lovely Jennifer of A Girl and Her Carrot, were cooked in my kitchen today. Well, half of them cooked, the other half pickled. Beets provide antioxidant, anti-inflammatory an detoxification support.They are also a great source of folate, magnesium and potassium, so go grab some today!
So now you’re home with a bag of beets, wondering what to do with them? Here are two simple, yet delicious ways to prepare them. The first one is pickling and the second one is glazed. There isn’t a recipe for either of them, it’s more of a personal taste. When pickling, there are various online recipes you could check out!
|Peel, slice, julienne|
|In a Mason jar: Vinegar & peppercorns|
|Salt, Hot sauce and Beets (look at my pink hands!)|
|Boiled hot, pour in and seal. Depending on the intensity you’d like, depends the amount of days pickling!|
|yummy red gems!|
- Cut beets into small chunks and place them in boiling, salted water
- Cook until tender and reserve the liquid.
- Heat a saute pan and melt butter.
- Saute the sesame seeds and the Five Spice Powder. If you don’t have black sesame seeds, you could use white ones!
- Add reserved liquid, 1/4 cup at a time (depending on how much you have) and reduce to a glaze. Season with salt and pepper.
- Quickly saute your beet pieces in this delicious glaze and serve! Could be enjoyed warm or as a cold salad.
For more Beet Love Recipes, check out the following links:
A Girl and Her Carrot asks “What’s YELLOW and EARTHY?”
Bunnycooks makes “Grilled Chicken Salad with Fire Roasted Chile Honey Dressing” (and beautiful beets!)
The Novice Chef: Beets and Quinoa! Nutrious Duo: “Roasted Beet Quinoa”
What’s YOUR favorite way to eat beets?