Believe it or not, good things DO come to an end, so as everything else, this is my last Boston post (for now!). We visited these restaurants on our last night there, jumping from one place to the other and ending up looking down at the best view in Boston from the 52nd flour of the Prudential Building. It was the perfect ending to almost a month of traveling, eating, and exploring with M.
- Pimientos del Padron: Hot green peppers with sea salt. M. is a huge fan of hot peppers, and a simple dish like this is an easy way to rate a restaurant. If you can’t achieve simplicity, what’s left? The peppers were limp and extremely salty, even to us that have a high tolerance to salt.
- Maíz Asado con Aioli y Queso Cotija: La Especialidad de la Casa. Grilled corn with aioli, lime, espelette pepper and aged cotija cheese. The house specialty, 2 whole cobs, sliced in half and presented on a small plate. I loved the combination of the cotija cheese and aioli, but “less is more”. I could feel my arteries clogging up because of the huge amount of aioli on the cobs! Flavor was there, but so much fat just coated your tongue and didn’t let you enjoy the texture of the cheese or the spiciness of the espelette pepper.
- Pate de Cerdo: Berkshire Pork Pate with Apple Butter and Hazelnuts. My biggest pet peeve is a menu that says one thing and a waiter that brings the dish with something missing or substituted. If there are going to be substitutions by the kitchen on my order, I appreciate being informed about it. Berkshire pork is one of my favorite breeds (after Magnalitsa pork!) so I ordered this with high expectations. Thin slices of dry pate, served over the Apple Butter. Hazelnuts you ask? Not one in sight. Instead, a squeeze of stone ground mustard as if I was ordering a hot dog. The mustard overpowered the delicate flavor of the pork, the one flavor that should be highlighted.
- Baby Back Pork Ribs, Mongolian Style, Spicy Cabbage, Kimchee: nicely fermented Kimchee, fall of the bone ribs and a delicious black bean based honey sauce.
- Grilled Hanger Steak with Garlic Herb Pomme Frites: Classic and perfectly cooked, comfort food!
- Creme Brulee : another classic, executed to develop the most creamy Creme Brulee served with a small waffle.
- Drink: Cucumber Vodka Tonic