Is it really the “end of summer”? Somehow it’s three weeks into August and we’re living in a hot, humid dream filled with relaxing beach days, fun outdoor event, but most of all – endless zucchini, ha! Summer means that the summer squash varieties are at their finest – today I’m sharing my favorite recipe to use up all your zucchini bounty: Lemon Poppyseed Zucchini Bread!
Quick breads are one of my favorite ways to use up produce that is overflowing in my baskets during the summer – more specifically, zucchini and summer squash. With endless amount of this squash, we find creative ways to use it in the kitchen, whether in sweet or savory preparations. This Lemon Poppyseed Zucchini Bread recipe is just the thing you need to celebrate the almost end of summer, the last bit of hot summer nights, and overall the bounty of gorgeous fresh produce.
Lemons and poppyseed have gone hand in hand for decades now, and is a great addition to the classic zucchini bread. It brings a brightness of flavor and a great texture to the bread. This was baked with a gluten free flour mix and turned out perfectly, but can be baked with regular all purpose unbleached flour as well, for great results.
The crumb on this Lemon Poppyseed Zucchini Bread is tender and full of lemon flavor, while the zucchini adds great moisture to the bread and it will keep for up to a week and still taste delicious! Go forth and bake, all while enjoying the last bits of summer.
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- ¼ cup poppy seeds
- 2 lemons, zested and juiced
- 3 cups shredded zucchini
- 3 cups gluten free flour mix (or all purpose flour)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- Preheat oven to 350F and grease a loaf pan, set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, sugar, oil, poppy seeds, lemon zest and juice. Stir until combined and fold in the shredded zucchini.
- Add the dry ingredients and mix until combined. Pour into loaf pan and bake for 45-50 minutes, until golden brown.