These Mediterranean Tofu Lettuce Wraps will become your go to meal this summer – easy to put together, vegetarian, and incredibly flavorful. This post is sponsored by Sabra, but per usual – recipe, opinions, and my love for hummus are my own.
I can’t believe it’s May again. I seriously cannot wrap my head around the fact that winter is over, and so is our relaxed, traveling life. Now it’s back to reality, of working 14 hour days at the restaurant, being exhausted 90% of the time, and waking up at 5am to actually get work done…before work.
Not only does it affect our sleep schedule, but out eating habits change. No longer are we making endless pots of New England Style Fish Chowder, but we are putting together quick and easy meals that take barely any time, I can shop for most of the stuff at the store, but it’s not a store bought meal.
Meals that come together with what we have in the fridge, meals that we can have in between service at the restaurant, when we get an hour to relax before the dinner rush. A meal so good, and good for you, it actually becomes an unofficial meal. Have you ever had those? It’s like those meals that aren’t “really” meals, but in between those traditional meal times.
The Unofficial Meal is a fresh, everyday snack/appetizer that is so satisfying, it feels like a meal. This occasion occurs between lunch and dinner:
- mid-afternoon, when you need a pick-me-up to make it through to dinner
- pre-dinner when everyone arrives home from the day and dinner isn’t ready yet
What makes the Unofficial Meal – and this recipe – so great? The food: fresh, satisfying Sabra Hummus is swirled and slathered on butter lettuce. When serving Sabra Hummus, I like to make a small well and drizzle with great olive oil and maybe some red chili pepper flakes – takes 30 seconds and instantly makes everything better. Another amazing thing about this meal is the connections: share with friends/ food brings people together – or be like me and dig into this platter with your starving husband before work. There are no “formal meal” rules at the Unofficial Meal – so eat away!
Photography by Stacey Rupolo / Recipe by Cooking with Books
- 1 (15 ounce) block extra firm tofu
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon herbs de Provence
- 1 head butter lettuce
- 1 cup Sabra Hummus
- ½ cup olives
- ½ cup marinated artichokes
- ½ cup sun-dried tomatoes
- ¼ cup feta, cubed
- ¼ bunch fresh parsley
- In a large saute pan, preheat olive oil.
- Press the tofu between a kitchen towel to remove excess liquid, cube and fry up on all sides. Season with herbs, salt and pepper just as it comes out of the pan.
- Using a large oval platter, arrange all the ingredients to make for easy assembly of the lettuce wraps. Butter lettuce leaves provide the vessel, while you arrange a pool of Sabra Hummus drizzled with olive oil, olives, marinated artichokes, sun-dried tomatoes - to top it all off, crumbled feta and fresh chopped parsley.