If there’s one thing I love, it’s a good banana dessert recipe. This Upside Down Cardamom Banana Bread is just as easy as a classic banana bread, but takes it over the top with the exotic spice and caramelized bananas.
If you’re a banana lover like I am, you’re always looking for the best recipes to use up those over ripe bananas. And granted, I do have some on the blog, but not enough that it showcases that bananas are by far my favorite fruit.
- Date Banana Bread
- Caramelized Banana Protein Pancakes
- Peach Banana Bread
- Banana Cream Pie
- Bananas Foster Whole Wheat Pancakes
- Chia Seed Banana Bread (the most popular recipe on this site!)
- Banana Coffee Cashew Smoothie
Typically, banana bread is a quick bread that you slice and serve as a snack or go to breakfast. But we’ve elevated this banana bread with the caramelized bananas, as well as a healthy dose of ground cardamom, which makes the flavor all that much better. Top with vanilla bean ice cream or whipped cream and you’ve got a plated dessert that can be served up at any dinner party. Impressive enough for guests, yet quick enough for mid-week pick me ups!
Photography by Stacey Rupolo / Recipe by Cooking with Books
- ½ granulated sugar
- ½ cup dark brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup melted coconut oil (or vegetable oil)
- ¼ cup Stonyfield Greek Yogurt
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- ½ tablespoon ground cardamom
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1½ tablespoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 bananas, sliced
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- Preheat oven to 350F and grease a loaf pan.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the sugars, eggs, oil, yogurt, and vanilla until fully incorporated.
- Add the rest of the dry ingredients, careful not to overmix. Set aside.
- In a saute pan, melt the butter and sugar until a sugar syrup forms. Drizzle into bottom of loaf pan.
- Place sliced bananas in rows on the bottom of the pan. Pour batter over it without disturbing bananas.
- Bake until golden brown, about 35-45 minutes.
- Flip over right out of the oven so bananas don't stick. Serve warm with ice cream.