If you haven’t given cabbage a chance, this Crunchy Detox Cabbage Slaw will win you over. It’s packed with bright flavors, a detox dressing, and goes well with anything!
During the winter in New England, I tend to eat foods that remind me of warmer weather. This Crunchy Detox Cabbage Slaw is just that – because nothing says summer more than a bowl of slaw. But unlike most slaw recipes, this one is not drowned in mayonnaise. Instead, I’ve recreated the popular Master Cleanse Lemonade Diet Drink into a salad dressing. I know, it sounds a bit crazy but believe me when I say that the blend of lemon, apple cider vinegar, maple syrup and cayenne better makes some of the best dressing I’ve ever tasted.
Why red cabbage? Well, as the internet reminds me: The health benefits of red cabbage include a prevention of premature aging, reducing the chances of cancer, improve the health of the skin and eyes, helps in weight loss, boosts the immune system, helps to build stronger bones, detoxifies the body, prevents diabetes, improves heart health, slows down the onset of Alzheimer’s, and treats ulcers. – via Organic Facts
My adaptations included adding a bit of olive oil and a crushed, smashed, minced garlic clove – garlic is my go to ingredient to stay healthy all year long. It’s anti-viral and seriously works hard at protecting our immune system from seasonal sickness. This detox salad is perfect not only as a salad, but here are some of my favorite ways to eat this detox crunchy salad:
- sautéed with eggs in the morning
- tossed with a can of tuna for lunch
- wrapped in a tortilla shell with chicken or fish for a tasty taco slaw
Give this Crunchy Detox Cabbage Slaw a try and you won’t go back – it’s filling, flavorful, and packed with healthy fiber! Looking for more cabbage recipes? Try my Herbed Cabbage Slaw, Kale-Cabbage Green Juice, Asian Slaw Recipe, and Fish Tacos with Spicy Hummus Slaw!
- ½ head raw cabbage
- 2 large carrots, peeled
- 1 bulb fresh fennel
- ⅓ cup apple cider vinegar
- ½ lemon, juiced
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, smashed and minced
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- Finely chop the cabbage, carrots, and fennel and place in a large bowl.
- Whisk together all the dressing ingredients and pour over slaw. Using hands, massage for 5-10 minutes and then refrigerate until ready to serve.