This Glowing Turmeric Chicken Soup recipe might just be the only soup recipe you need this winter. Not only will it keep you warm, but it’s packed with lemon, ginger, turmeric, and garlic to keep you healthy!
As a trained chef, people love asking me what’s my favorite thing to make – ever. And even thought I went to school for baking and pastry, sweets are not my favorite thing to make. My all time favorite thing to make is soup. Any kind of soup, stew, chowder, bisque – it’s what I love. At work, I make two fresh soups daily and take about 2.5 hours to make them just right. From sweating that mirepoix and aromatics, to using housemate stock, it’s one of my favorite processes in the kitchen.
At home, I’m just the same and this soup goes to prove it. It might look simple – heck it might not look like nothing special. But when you first taste it, you’ll realize how special it is. I’ve created this recipe that has you make a light chicken stock before making the soup – so we can use the broth and the cooked chicken in this soup recipe. Chicken soup has been a cure all for centuries among global cultures and this is my soup. The one I go to when I’m feeling a scratchy throat. Not only that, but the lemon, ginger, turmeric and garlic in this soup are all immune boosting, antiviral ingredients that if you are sick, will help you feel better soon.
“A little science. A little magic. A little chicken soup.” – Diane Duane
- 2 large chicken breasts, bone-in and with skin
- 4 quarts water
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 large carrots, peeled and diced
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 1 inch ginger, minced
- 2 tablespoons turmeric
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lemon, juiced
- You'll need two stock pots, one to make the stock and the other to make the soup itself.
- In the first stock pot over medium high heat, place the raw chicken, water, bay leaves, and apple cider vinegar. Simmer for one hour and then remove chicken from stock.
- While stock is simmering, over medium heat in another stock pot, sauce the coconut oil along with the onion, carrots, and celery. Cook until translucent. Add the ginger, turmeric, and garlic.
- Strain stock into this soup pot and shred chicken breasts, removing skin and bones. Place chicken meat into soup, add lemon juice, and simmer for 10-20 more minutes.
- Serve hot with an extra side of lemon to squeeze into soup just before eating.