Vegan Pineapple Snack Cake is a pantry baked good – basically, everything to make it can be found in your pantry. Bake up a batch today – you’ll never know it’s vegan!
Warning: I’m not a vegan, and don’t think I’ll ever be a vegan, but I admire those that can stand by their beliefs strongly enough to give up delicious eats. Thus, when I accidentally bake something vegan, I do a little happy dance. Because being vegan doesn’t have to mean no more delicious foods, but just finding other delicious foods that you can enjoy on your new lifestyle/diet.
This Vegan Pineapple Snack Cake is just that – a slice of vegan heaven that’s fluffy, flavorful, and quite ideal as an afternoon treat or a late night snack. And you might be wondering, how can this can be so fluffy without the addition of eggs?! Well my friends, you might have heard of something called a “flax egg”. Basically, it’s flax seeds that have been ground and mixed with water, letting them sit for five minutes until they basically turn into this slimy (yet nutritious!) mixture that acts like an egg when baking.
My favorite brand of flax seeds is Bob’s Red Mill. You can purchase entire the whole golden flax seeds which you will need to grind when you use it, or you can buy the flaxseed meal which already comes ground and ready to use. They’re an excellent source of omega-3 fatty acids and are rich in dietary fiber and lignan, which makes it a healthy addition to baked goods, pancakes, and even smoothies!
Here’s the vegan pineapple snack cake recipe!
- 2 tablespoons flaxseed meal
- 5 tablespoons water
- 2¼ cup all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1½ teaspoons powered cinnamon
- ½ cup coconut oil, melted
- ½ cup dark brown sugar
- ½ agave syrup
- 1 cup pineapple puree
- ½ cup applesauce
- Preheat the oven to 350F and grease a square cake pan with coconut oil. Set aside.
- Mix the flaxseed meal with water and let sit for five to ten minutes.
- Whisk together the flour, baking soda, and cinnamon.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the melted coconut oil, brown sugar, agave syrup, pineapple puree, and applesauce. Add in the flaxseed meal and water mixture and fold in.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and whisk together - do not overmix.
- Pour batter into greased pan and bake for 20-25 minutes until cooked.
- Serve with a sprinkling of powdered sugar!