Homemade herbal cough syrup is a homeopathic, natural way to get rid of a nasty cold or flu. It’s packed with everything you need to heal your body!
No one likes getting sick, especially if you’re an adult that has stuff to get done. Thankfully, I work from home during the winter months, so if I do get sick, I try to move my work tasks around so that I can get some rest. But not everyone works from home or can nap all day nursing a cold, thus my homemade herbal cough syrup recipe comes to the rescue!
I HATE having to drink cough syrup when I’m sick, because: a) it tastes awful and b) it’s packed with more chemicals, sugars, and preservatives than I ever want in my body. The pharmaceutical industry has made us believe that these “medicines” will cure us, when in reality, they’re just poisoning our bodies.
I’d rather follow Hippocrates quote:
“Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food.”
I will create my own recipe for herbal cough medicine, packed with the vitamins and nutrients that my body needs. It tastes 100% better than over-the-counter cough syrups, and it has so many more added benefits.
Here’s how each ingredient in the homemade herbal cough syrup can help:
- Apple cider vinegar: soothes a sore throat because of its germ-busting properties. It contains potassium, which thins mucus and the acetic acid in it prevents germ growth, which could contribute to a stuffy nose.
- Honey: As an antibacterial, it calms inflamed membranes and calms a cough.
- Citrus fruit like lemons and limes: A great source of Vitamin C, giving us the immune boost we need when we start feeling sick. Plus, it’s a great antiseptic!
- Ginger: Gingerol, the bioactive substance in fresh ginger, can help lower the risk of infections. And it helps with the nausea and upset stomach that the Flu can cause.
- Rosemary: Contains substances that are useful for stimulating the immune system, which will aid in helping you feel better quicker.
Make a batch of this homemade herbal cough syrup now, before you get sick, then store it in the fridge.
I like to have a shot glass full of this every day. It helps keep my immune system at its finest, and my vitamin C intake as high as possible. If you do get sick, take a shot of this every couple of hours each day.
I used Maille’s Cider Vinegar with Honey in this recipe, because I received a free sample of it in the mail. You can use any apple cider vinegar that you have available. Here’s to a healthy winter season. Stay well, my friends!
- ½ cup apple cider vinegar
- ⅓ cup raw honey
- ½ lemon, sliced
- ½ lime, sliced
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 3 springs fresh rosemary
- In a small sauce pot over low heat, stir the vinegar and honey together until melted. Add lemon, lime, ginger, and rosemary and let steep for 1 hour until cooled.
- Pour into glass jar and refrigerate until needed - lasts a couple of months in the fridge!