Summer at its finest: perfectly ripe avocados laced with thinly shaved cucumbers and tossed with cilantro and goat cheese. This salad has become a staple this week at home!
Getting inspired during the summer season is the simplest and easiest thing to accomplish on my endless to do list. Since inspiration can be found everywhere, from the sun kissing your cheeks on a hot day to those late night dips in the ocean, summer is my favorite season on Martha’s Vineyard.
Summer also reminds me that it’s avocado season back home in the Dominican Republic. My mother keeps texting me endless photos of our avocado tree and their fruits – so many avocados they have no idea what to do with them! While seeing the many photos and craving for my own avocado tree here in New England, I shared this simple recipe with her: cucumbers, avocados, and a lime dressing that makes your mouth pucker in the best of ways.
Just one tip: make sure to use PERFECT avocados. By perfect, I’m not referring to shape or size, but to ripeness. Leave your avocados out for a couple of days so they reach that peak of ripeness that’s needed in this salad. You want them to be soft enough that when you toss this salad they break down a bit into part of the dressing itself. I promise, it’s the best salad you’ll have. That is, until I share another salad this summer. Stay tuned!
- 2 large cucumbers
- 2 avocados
- ¼ cup queso fresco
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 lime, juiced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Using a vegetable peeler, peel the cucumber on all sides (minus the center with the sides - you can juice this or add to another salad later).
- Thinly slice the avocados.
- Whisk together the lime juice, olive oil, and salt.
- Place cucumber slices and avocados in a bowl. Drizzle with lime dressing and sprinkle with queso fresco and cilantro.
- Chill and serve.