Everyone needs a sip of a super indulgent and lusciously rich hot chocolate and my recipe for Dulce de Leche Mexican Hot Chocolate is just the thing you need for those cold winter nights!
Between the months of November and March, the consumption of hot chocolate in our household grows by 100%. Let’s be real… who is drinking hot chocolate during the summer months? No one we know.
But once that chilly weather hits Cape Cod and the Islands, it’s time to bring out our tiny pot and whisk and simmer a luscious Dulce de Leche Mexican Hot Chocolate recipe as an after dinner nightcap!
Current favorite: Dulce de Leche Mexican Hot Chocolate. It’s super rich, so you’ll want about 1/2 cup per serving, unless you want to fall into a chocolate coma.
The sweetness comes from the sweetened condensed milk, which not only adds sweetness, but a richer texture. This recipe calls for Cinnamon Chocolate by Taza Chocolate. It’s the traditional partner to chocolate in Mexico. They grind whole cinnamon sticks together with organic Dominican cacao using Oaxacan stone mills. Their simple stone-ground process gives Taza Cinnamon Chocolate Mexicano its intense flavor and distinctive rustic texture.
Topping this Mexican hot chocolate with sweetened whipped cream, a drizzle of dulce de leche, and an extra piece of Taza Chocolate makes for the perfect winter dessert. Forget making time consuming desserts and just serve this hot chocolate in nice mugs or jars at the end of the night. Just the right amount of sweetness to end any dinner holiday party!
Enjoy this Mexican hot chocolate recipe!
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 disc Taza Mexican Chocolate
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons sweetened condensed milk
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- to serve: whipped cream and dulce de leche
- Simmer together the milk, chocolate, vanilla, condensed milk, and cinnamon.
- Once the mixture is warmed through, remove ¼ cup and mix with cornstarch, to dissolve.
- Pour back into the hot chocolate and let come to a full simmer, while it thickens.
- Serve immediately with whipped cream and dulce de leche.
Disclaimer: Taza Chocolate sent me some samples, which I hoarded like a chocolate maniac until making this hot chocolate. Now I use it nightly in my hot chocolate- I recommend it 100%.