Buffalo sausage? Have you ever eaten buffalo meat? Before trying sausages from The Buffalo Guys, we hadn’t either, but it is delicious!
Disclaimer: Buffalo Sausages were provided free of charge to review and develop this recipe with. Opinions, as always, are based on personal testing and tasting!
When Virtual Potluck was contacted by The Buffalo Guys, we were thrilled to say the least. Read below for more information and the recipe I developed, but remember to head over to our host site, Diabetic Foodie, for a round-up of all the recipes!
Two of the things I love the most about buffalo sausage:
- They contain no fillers, MSG, nitrites or nitrates.
- Buffalo are range-raised without antibiotics or growth hormones.
The buffalo are raised to roam freely in farms and ranches in Kansas, Colorado, Wyoming, Nebraska, and Montana. Here are some of The Buffalo Guys beliefs:
- We believe that animals should be treated with dignity.
- We believe the environment can be renewed through wise use.
- We believe that what we produce for others to eat should be equal in quality to what we, ourselves, choose to eat at home.
- We support the growth of “Organic and Sustainable” agricultural practices and feel that the American Buffalo fits this well.
- We believe that our employees and member ranchers should be fairly compensated for their efforts and in so doing be empowered to enjoy a full and fruitful life.
I wanted to create a recipe that showcases the buffalo sausage in a canvas that brings out the natural flavor. Using a neutral cheese like ricotta (you could also use cottage cheese), and just adding the sweetness of cooked onions, this pasta filling will make any dish shine.
The Buffalo sausage used in this filling is Bratwurst, considered by most as the German soul food! Spiced with pepper, nutmeg, mace, and coriander, this sausage is flavorful and lean. It’s also gluten-free, uncured, and skinless. Check out the recipe below for some Italian-inspired German soul food!
We served these Bratwurst ravioli with a celery sauce and sprinkled with paprika, hearty and delicious!
Here’s the buffalo sausage ravioli recipe – enjoy!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 Bratwurst Buffalo sausages, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- ¾ cup ricotta
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat olive oil over medium high heat in a skillet. Add chopped onions, cooking until onions are translucent. Add chopped sausage and cook for 5 minutes, making sure to not overcook.
- Remove from pan and reserve.
- In a blender or using an immersion blender, puree ricotta cheese, onions, and cooked sausage.
- Season with salt and pepper. Use to fill pasta. Read the link below on how to make pasta!
Check out their Facebook page and stay up to date on new promotions, recipes, and more!
The Buffalo Guys Facebook Page