Brown sugar coconut chocolate bars are rich, sweet, gooey goodness from top to bottom. Perfect for dessert or a sweet treat any time.
As a baker, you can lure friends with treats. You can bake and have someone fall in love with the smell drifting from the oven. Better yet, you can barter with your treats! On Martha’s Vineyard, we’ve formed communities. Online Facebook communities to help summer people get housing, groups for selling and buying, groups for sharing daily photos of the Vineyard. How does this come into play with these delicious bars? Let’s just say I bought a chair and bartered to have it delivered in exchange of these treats (and some extra marshmallows!)
These brown sugar coconut chocolate bars are from Easy Does It: Winners & Favorites by Patti Roper. It’s a cookbook filled with traditional Southern recipes like Pimento Cheese, Creole Catfish, Peach Muffins, and these Brown sugar bars. Simple ingredients that should always be in your baking cabinet, make these treats a delight to share with friends!
Here’s the recipe for the brown sugar coconut chocolate bars.
If you make them, please come back to leave a comment. I’d love to hear what you think of the recipe!
- ⅔ cup butter, softened
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup mini chocolate chips
- 1 cup shredded, sweetened coconut
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix all ingredients except chocolate chips and coconut. (These were mixed by hand with a dough whisk!)
- Press half the dough into greased, and foil covered pan (this one is 8 by 8 inches).
- Sprinkle mini chocolate chips. Roll the other half of the dough to fit on top and press down.
- Sprinkle with shredded coconut.
- Bake 30 minutes, until coconut is toasted and bar is fully baked. Cool for an hour or overnight for clean cuts.